Typo's in DNS, Al Jazeera back online

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sun Mar 30 03:57:01 UTC 2003

In spite of typo's in their DNS records, Al Jazeera's web site has moved
to France and back online.  Be sure you get the current IP address for
aljazeera.net (213.30.180.219).

Al Jazeera's name server records are still a mess, and I don't think
you can really blame the Pentagon for them

aljazeera.net.          15M IN SOA      ns3.aljazeera.net.
dnsadmin.nav-link.net. (
                                        2003032802      ; serial
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        1H              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        15M )           ; minimum

aljazeera.net.          15M IN NS       ns1sa.navlink.com.
aljazeera.net.          15M IN NS       ns3.aljazeera.net.
aljazeera.net.          15M IN MX       10 mail.aljazeera.net.
aljazeera.net.          15M IN A        213.30.180.219

The NS record for ns1sa.navlink.com appears to be a typo, no such server
exists. I suspect the correct NS is ns1sa.nav-link.net (217.26.192.26),
which is not responding or the NS in the NSI registery aljns1sa.nav-link.net
(217.26.193.15) which also isn't responding.