OUTAGE: Known Iraq public Internet service

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Mar 28 23:20:54 UTC 2003

In the last few hours, all the public Internet hosts I knew were
physically in Iraq (i.e. connected through the Iraqi state provider),
have stopped responding.  I don't know the cause (power failure,
telecom failure, physical damage, shutdown by administrator, etc).

Of course, this does not mean there are no IP-enabled devices
operating within Iraq's physical borders.  The Iraq government and
military may have private IP networks, not connected to the Internet
or connected in ways I don't know about.  Likewise the US military and
various news media are carrying IP enabled devices in southern Iraq, but I
don't know their IP addresses. I also believe in Kurdish controlled areas
have seperate Internet connections.