Allegiance telecom boston colo down?

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Mar 28 21:19:03 UTC 2003

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Dave Israel wrote:
> I seriously doubt that, if a 12-year-old from Nebraska called the NOC
> at AT&T and asked for a list of all their network failures in the past
> two years, the NOC person would feel obliged to spend their time on

I try to point out when providers are doing a good job.

AT&T has set up their system so their NOC people don't have to get bogged
down answering phones.  AT&T has a very nice news system where you can
read about network issues.  AT&T's customer care people post regular
updates about POP problems, circuits down, etc.  I suppose if the 12-year
old from Nebraska archived the news system for two years, he could read
about all their network issues.

Earthlink has
http://support.earthlink.net/harvest_inc/SYSSTATUS/sysstatus_pop.html

RCN has
http://status.erols.com

MFN has
http://status.psinet.com

etc, etc, etc

While there is always room for improvement, and some providers have
goofed up, there are providers who attempt to keep their network users
(even if they aren't direct customers) informed.