Using Policy Routing to stop DoS attacks

Christopher L. Morrow chris at UU.NET
Fri Mar 28 15:59:41 UTC 2003

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Andre Chapuis wrote:

> We could ask Cisco and Juniper to add a way of 'artificially' remove
> networks from the CEF table (with an ACL or so). That way, even with
> loose-RPF, the packet will be dropped based on source-address at the
> ingress without consuming CPU.

Keep in mind that this functionality would still be held to the same set
of restrictions as uRPF... and you CAN accomplish this with a blackhole
setup on your network. By blackholing source prefixes you COULD get this
same effect.

> Or maybe such a feature already exist

it kind of does... though with some real routing goo, not via an acl.