Curing the BIND pain

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Thu Mar 27 09:32:34 UTC 2003

Let's assume that BIND has a way to know when it is dangerously out of
date. The mechanism used would be up to ISC and I'll admit that it would
probably involve some sort of DNS records in an ISC-run domain because
that's the only way that has a high likelihood of working  given the
number of firewalls and caching nameservers that may be between a given
BIND box and ISC. Seems to me that ISC has always maintained that there
are two version numbers, one 4.x and one 8.x, that are always the oldest
ones you can run and still be secure against known exploits. So the info
stored in the ISC DNS server really doesn't need to be more than those two
version numbers.

OK, now assume that we have a BIND server which has detected that it is
out of date and at risk of attack. What should it do?

Well, first of all, what would a human being do if if realised that it was
at risk of attack and they had no means of contacting their friends or the
police. A child might cry out and an adult might yell for help in case
someone was near enough to hear. BIND is in a similar situation. It
doesn't know if there is anyone looking after it but it is hurting, so
let's make it cry out.

I suggest that an appropriate technique would be for the BIND server to
originate traffic on it's local subnet that would look suspicious and
possibly trigger intrusion alarms. Send out some packets to the broadcast
address. Do some portscanning of all addresses on the subnet. Find any
open port 80 and retrieve a URL containing
BIND/server/at/10.7.7.1/has/security/vulnerability, find any open port 25
and send email to postmaster containing the same message, etc.

Not enough traffic to be a DoS but enough to show up in various logs in
case someone is looking at some of them.

Even then, this is still a string and sealing wax solution. It's
situations like this that demonstrate just how primitive our supposedly
high technology really is.

--Michael Dillon