how to get people to upgrade? (Re: The weak link? DNS)

Kuhtz, Christian christian.kuhtz at BellSouth.com
Wed Mar 26 16:59:02 UTC 2003

>       On 26 Mar 2003, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
>     > What I would like to see is somewhat of the idea in
>     > reverse.  The ISC would host a zone that would contain TXT records
with
>     > security/bug advisories for every version:
>
> I really like this solution.  It seems clean and unobjectionable, while
> getting the job done.

What's the job, though?

The way I see it, the issue isn't that there aren't enough notifications of
BIND vulnerabilities.

Administrator inertia is the root cause.  I don't see how an automatism such
as the one described changes human behavior.  And unless you change that
inertia, no amount of notification, databases, registries, yada yada yada
will make any difference.

Thanks,
Christian

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."