how to get people to upgrade? (Re: The weak link? DNS)

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Wed Mar 26 16:47:05 UTC 2003

* vixie at vix.com (Paul Vixie) [Wed 26 Mar 2003, 16:24 CET]:
> so here's a proposal.  we (speaking for ISC here) could add a config option
> (default to OFF) to make bind send some kind of registration packet at boot
> time, containing an e-mail address for a technical contact for that server,
> and perhaps its hostname as well.  the destination would be configurable, and
> the format would be open, and we would include in the distribution a tool
> capable of catching these.  any campus/WAN admin who wanted to run their own
> "BIND registration system" could do so.  anyone who wanted to simply config
> their server to send registration data to ISC could do so.  for data received
> at ISC, we'd (a) keep it completely private other than public statistics,
> (b) clean it of obvious trash (some people will sent registration data for
> president at whitehouse.gov just for fun; we know that), and (c) use the contact
> information only in the event that a security defect discovered in that
> version.  remember, the default would be OFF.
>
> given such a feature, whose default was OFF, would anyone here who uses
> BIND stop using it out of protest?  if so plz answer publically (on nanog).

So how much would this differ from `make install' running this shell
script?

---
cat <<EOF
	Congratulations!  You have just successfully installed BIND
	${VERSION}.  If you want to be kept up-to-date on future
	announcements on BIND (for example, security vulnerabilities
	found in your version), say Y here.  This is highly recommended!
EOF
	read answer
	case "$answer" in
	  y|Y|[Yy][Ee][Ss])
		echo subscribe | mail bind-announce-request at isc.org
		;;
	  *)
		echo "You can still see security updates at"
		echo "http://www.isc.org/products/bind/"
		echo "Please check there regularly!"
	esac
---