Domain oddity - possibly early warning...

Rodney Joffe rjoffe at centergate.com
Tue Mar 25 23:35:40 UTC 2003

Hello,

We've noticed something we've never noticed before that became evident
at 14:00 today...  and which could be an isolated glitch at
Verisign/Netsol, or it could be a sign of a larger problem looming.

The domain utclassifieds.com is answered as NXDOMAIN in the
gtld-servers.

[rjoffe at layer9 rjoffe]$ dig @a.gtld-servers.net utclassifieds.com ns

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @a.gtld-servers.net utclassifieds.com ns
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      utclassifieds.com, type = NS, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
com.                    2D IN SOA       a.gtld-servers.net.
nstld.verisign-grs.com. (
                                        2003032500      ; serial
                                        30M             ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

;; Total query time: 96 msec
;; FROM: layer9.com to SERVER: a.gtld-servers.net  192.5.6.30
;; WHEN: Tue Mar 25 16:15:26 2003

However it has a whois record at networksolutions, but it has no
nameservers in the whois record. And the domain is valid and expires in
July 2003.
http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois?STRING=utclassifieds.com&SearchType=do&STRING2.x=31&STRING2.y=8

If anyone else has a similar domain problem, I'd appreciate a note
offline...

Meantime we're trying to get an answer from NSI.

--
Rodney Joffe
CenterGate Research Group, LLC.