Notebooks /w a serial port?

Grant A. Kirkwood grant at tnarg.org
Sat Mar 22 01:03:45 UTC 2003

Steve Gibbard said:

> On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
>> IBM T and A series systems all have serial ports as far as I know. (I
>> have not seen T40, yet.)
>
> The Toshiba Satellite Pros have serial ports as well.  The lower end
> non-pro Satellite notebooks don't.
>
> I discovered while notebook shopping a couple months ago that asking
> about serial ports is a good way to get laughed at by computer sales
> people. "Don't you know serial is dead?" they kept asking.

Heh, I had the same response. Incidentally, I just purchased a Satellite
Pro (one of the new Centrino-stickered ones) and it does not have a serial
port. The previously-mentioned Keyspan USB-to-serial adapter works just
fine however.
Grant

--
Grant A. Kirkwood - grant(at)tnarg.org
Fingerprint = D337 48C4 4D00 232D 3444 1D5D 27F6 055A BF0C 4AED