Iraqi Internet communications still working 3/21/03

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine brunner at nic-naa.net
Sat Mar 22 00:24:05 UTC 2003

> And to answer the question, no I don't know why the .IQ top-level domain
> is registered in Richardson Texas, nor do I know why the official state
> provider uses .NET and .COM instead of .iq.

That is who the IANA delegation was made to:

The SO for the .IQ delegation is (as of 13 Oct '02)

Alani Corp.
c/o InfoCom
630 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081
United States

Administrative Contact:
Saud Alani
Alani Corporation
c/o InfoCom
630 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081
United States
Email: alani at mynet.net
Voice: +964 1 556 4753
Fax: +1 972 644 8609

Technical Contact:
Bayan Elashi
InfoCom Corporation
630 International Parkway
Suit 100
Richardson, Texas 75081
United States
Email: bayan at infocomusa.com
Voice: +1 972 644 5363
Fax: +1 972 644 8609

There is no URL for registration services.

I wrote alani at mynet.net, bayan at infocomusa.com on 06.02.03, asking about
registration (I'm an ICANN accredited registrar, whoop-de-doo, looking
at ccTLDs, but mostly as a co-author of the EPP spec and as an implementor
looking for guinea pigs er field trials).

I've had better luck with the .IR registry. The operator and I both were
at Berkeley, doing maths.

So, the long and the short of "why any provider uses something other than
the .IQ namespace" is -- see [1], effectivally a denial of service attack
by the sodding SO and operator -- though it is hyperbole to call slacking
off for months "an attack".

> Since either the Iraqi government or the US government could shutdown the

Aside, the namespace management doesn't require addrs to exist, be allocated,
or even wires, everything could be in London, or Zurich.

Anyway, some good writing has been coming out of Bagdad for several months,
the usual mechanism is dialtone to an external isp, and then, they are as
close to you as I am.

Anyone interested in getting the .IQ registry operational, so it can be
transfered to a _responsible_ sponsoring org with a non-lame operator
after the current moment of scheduled down-time is transited? If so,
drop me a note.

Eric

[1] http://www.icann.org/general/pn-report-11feb00.htm