APNIC returning 223/8 to IANA

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Mar 17 14:42:03 UTC 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> Just like the people who get 69/8 blocks should expect them to be
> fully usable as well, right?  Surely if one reserved /24 means you
> can return space and get new space assigned then the inability to
> reach some percentage of the internet is an even bigger, and more
> immediate concern that should warrant the same treatment.

I think all that really needs to happen here is an RFC update that
unreserves 223.255.255.0/24.  RFC3330 already mentioned that the basis for
this reservation was no longer applicable.  Someone at IANA just screwed
up the order of events, as the block should have been explicitly
unreserved before it was assigned.

On the same note, if you do a few google/groups.google.com searches,
you'll find that LOTS of people treat the networks marked as IANA-Reserved
in http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space in much the same way
as RFC1918 space, some even call them quasi-RFC1918 space.  A
groups.google.com search for 69.0.0.0/8 will turn up 5 pages of hits,
nearly all of which are firewall/ipf/ipchains/etc. config examples
recommending and demonstrating how to block, among other reserved nets,
69.0.0.0/8.

I'd like to strongly encourage IANA to reexamine all current IANA-Reserved
blocks, decide which ones will remain Reserved for the forseeable future,
and which are likely candidates for assignment to RIRs at any future date,
and update these to a more suggestive status such as
Future-RIR-Assignment.  Otherwise, we're going to repeat the 69/8 exercise
(signifigant parts of the net ignoring the space months after
assignment...some parts ignoring it likely for years) every time a net
goes from being IANA-Reserved to assigned to some RIR.

 Atlantic Net                |