APNIC returning 223/8 to IANA

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Mon Mar 17 06:31:08 UTC 2003

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 01:24:52AM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 01:11:06AM -0500, Andy Dills wrote:
> >
> > Anybody else think IANA should tell APNIC to take what was issued and
> > STFU? I mean, come on, you're want a different /8 because a single /24 at
> > the very end was reserved? And you're trying to convince us that the
> > intelligent people in the AP have no way of coming to grips with the
> > concept of "RESERVED"?
> >
> > Hell, just allocate that single /24 back to IANA and nobody has to deal
> > with the earth shattering difficulty of translating RESERVED.
> >
> > Somebody has to deal with the issue of breaking the pretty aggregation due
> > to the /24 at the end. Why does APNIC feel it shouldn't be them that must
> > deal with this small problem? That region of the net certainly causes its
> > share of problems.
>
> If APNIC doesn't want it, I'm sure I could find someone who does. :)
>
> Yes this is remarkably silly. What could possibly be broken by a reserved
> /24 out of a /8.

	You're missing the issue that when you are assigned space,
if part of it is already reserved that should be clearly spelled out.

	When you get a /8, you expect it to be fully usable.  The
APNIC posture here seems to make sense to me that its an issue
that needs to be resolved.  using one of the other currently
reserved /8's while that issue plays out seems quite logical
to me.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net