APNIC returning 223/8 to IANA

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Mar 17 06:30:39 UTC 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Andy Dills wrote:
> Somebody has to deal with the issue of breaking the pretty aggregation due
> to the /24 at the end. Why does APNIC feel it shouldn't be them that must
> deal with this small problem? That region of the net certainly causes its
> share of problems.

ARIN has dealt with the issue of RESERVED blocks within /8 allocations
for years (and InterNIC, SRI-NIC, etc for a decade?).  I guess 223/8
could be allocated to ARIN instead, if APNIC can't fix their database
software to handle special use allocations.

Or IETF could reserve the entire 223/8 for future special use allocations
instead of the current practice of using whatever space was next in
the queue when a new special use request is made.  Otherwise, some RIR
will have to deal with future RESERVATIONS within a /8 eventually.  It
seems a bit wasteful to reserve an entire /8 just because RIR's can't
deal with RESERVED allocations, but I don't run an RIR so I don't know
the capabilities of the database tracking systems.