[Fwd: FC: Email a RoadRunner address, get scanned by their

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Mar 15 04:48:44 UTC 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Jeff Kell wrote:

> > Basically, RoadRunner tried to spam themselves using my server.  I mailed
> > abuse at rr.com about this, and received a canned response, enclosed.
> >
> > Under their logic, I feel entitled to poke and prod their customers, just
> > to make sure they don't spam me.  Is that fair?  I promise to provide an
> > opt-out if anyone complains.
>
> Oh no, they'll bitch, at great length.  This was recently discussed on
> SPAM-L ( http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?LIST=SPAM-L ).

Actually, if you go a few rounds with Mr. Herrick of rr.com, and explain
that you want to do the same sort of testing under the same ground rules
as security.rr.com, I think you'll find that he will not object.

It is quite ironic (perhaps a sign of how bad the problem of spam on the
internet has gotten) that rr.com has decided to emulate those that they
have attacked in the past.

I suspect we've gotten to the point now that there are more open proxies
than open relays on the net, and it seems the proxies are more heavily
abused.

 Atlantic Net                |