[Re: Put part of Google on 69/8 (was Re: 69/8...this sucks)]

Joshua Smith joshua.ej.smith at usa.net
Wed Mar 12 16:43:26 UTC 2003

for all of the $adjective schemes and ideas that have been posted, has
anyone (besides jon and few others affected) been doing anything
substanitive?
outreach, more than any technical 'magic' that we can come up with, is the
only 'real' solution (subjective real, what is real to me probably doesn't
mean sh*t to you, but, hey, wtf).  the media might be good, perhaps
some online tech sites (someone with a 'big' name in networking would
probably be better able to get exposure/contact than a network nobody) -
there are/were some reporter-types lurking on nanog (are you out there??),
if you are please help.

one thing that has been mentioned is the bogon style filtering in various
o/s firewall scripts.  anyone thought to contact the authors of those
scripts, or of the howtos on places like tldp.org?  or is everyone too
busy reveling in their technical grandeur....

the problem is simple:  outdated filters.
the cause is murkier, but lack of clue is probably the biggest, followed
closely by lack of documentation on the part of previous admins (but we
all document our work carefully right?!?!)
the solution is simple:  tell people that their filters are out of date
the implementation is difficult only in terms of scale.  none of us have
the time to call/email or otherwise track down every admin out there, so
we have to use the tools available to us (unless you really really think
that reinventing the wheel again is a good thing)

my $0.02 usd - this network nobody is now returning you to your regularly
scheduled ego-fest

joshua

Richard A Steenbergen <ras at e-gerbil.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 04:44:11PM -0800, JC Dill wrote:
> >
> > Charles Sprickman wrote:
> >
> > >Seriously though, somewhere there is a popular site that is non-profit
in
> > >nature that would trade say a month of free access for the hassle of
being
> > >put into a widely-blocked block.
> >
> > The suggestion of putting Yahoo or Google on a 69/8 IP led me to this
> > idea:
> >
> > Google could put their *beta* sites on a 69/8 IP, without causing them
> > (Google) much Internet reachability/connectivity harm, and benefiting
> > the Internet at large considerably.
>
> (Note to Mr. Dill, this is not intended to pick on you specifically,
> it's just a convenient place to butt in)
>
> JESUS H CHRIST ENOUGH ALREADY... Please stop with the hairbrained ideas to
> put random things in 69/8 space. These goals are mutually exclusive. You
> can't put important stuff on broken IPs, and you can't fix broken IPs by
> putting unimportant stuff on them. No one is going to move all of the root
> servers to try and fix a couple outdated filters, and no one who is still
> running outdated filters is going to notice it because they can't reach
> Google beta sites.
>
> These are not just bad ideas, they are STUPID ideas. What happened to the
> days when, before people posted to mailing lists, they thought "will this
> make me look like an idiot in front of engineers across the entire
> planet"? This is quickly not only becoming one of the most all-time
> useless threads ever, but it is continuing to repell the useful people who
> can no longer stand to read NANOG because of crap like this.
>
> Listen, I have space in 69/8, and it is NOT an epidemic. Back when 64/8
> was opened up it destroyed a beautiful 64/3 filter on unallocated space,
> and yet somehow we all made it through just fine. The people who are
> stupid enough to filter IPs without a plan on keeping those filters up to
> date deserve their connectivity problems. Maybe next time they'll give
> consideration to whether they actually need unallocated bogon filters on
> every last linux server. :)
>
> --
> Richard A Steenbergen <ras at e-gerbil.net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
> GPG Key ID: 0xF8B12CBC (7535 7F59 8204 ED1F CC1C 53AF 4C41 5ECA F8B1 2CBC)

"Walk with me through the Universe,
 And along the way see how all of us are Connected.
 Feast the eyes of your Soul,
 On the Love that abounds.
 In all places at once, seemingly endless,
 Like your own existence."
     - Stephen Hawking -