Route Supression Problem

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Wed Mar 12 14:01:23 UTC 2003

> His bandwidth then drops
> to 0 for almost exactly 30 minutes (MRTG isn't an exactly graph). My
guess

Still using MRTG? Have you read this?
http://www.mit.edu/~rbeverly/papers/rtg-lisa02.pdf
Or this? http://rtg.sourceforge.net/docs/rtgfaq.html

Have you checked the price of 200 gigabyte hard drives and calculated how
long it would take to fill one if you were saving everything RTG could
collect?

Seriously, how much do you risk losing over one incident like this where
you don't have the data to show your customer exactly what happened and
give them the impression that you are an amazing TCP/IP guru? MRTG is
utterly obsolete; replace it! http://rtg.sourceforge.net

And if you can't make it to every NANOG meeting, then do check the website
for useful presentations like this one
http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0302/ppt/beverly.pdf

--Michael Dillon

P.S. considering the price of huge disk drives, I'd even consider setting
up a system to capture traces of all the traffic whenever a traffic
anomally occurs. That way you have even more useful info for a post mortem
analysis.