69/8...this sucks

David Luyer david at luyer.net
Wed Mar 12 11:03:12 UTC 2003

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
> > In short, it doesn't.  Longer answer, if the ISP configures
> > his router correctly, he can actually refuse to accept
> > advertisements from other sessions that are longer versions
> > of prefixes received through this session.
>
> How???

There is a technically possible (but rather twisted) way you
could not use the adverts, but not a way to refuse receiving
them that I know of.

Consider the connection between ISP X and ISP Y.

ISP Y and is the provider who wants to null route any bogon
traffic, even if ISP X advertises a more specific route for
it.

EBGP session between 192.168.0.1/30 and 192.168.0.2/30.

ISP Y places 192.168.0.2 into VRF "X-Real".
Also in VRF "X-Real" is 192.168.1.1

Now a VRF "X-Bogon" is created containing
192.168.1.2 and 192.168.2.1.

And finally the ISP's Default-IP-Routing-Table or other general
internet VRF contains 192.168.2.2.

192.168.1.1/192.168.1.2 and 192.168.2.1/192.168.2.2 are connected.
(for example, create virtual interfaces on a GigE representing
each side of a pair in the relevant VRFs and then loop the
VLANs of each pair of virtual interfaces -- is there a way
to create two "paired" loopback interfaces to interconnect VRFs
rather than extending to a physical connection like I always have?)

192.168.1.1 (BGP router in VRF X-Real) and 192.168.2.2 (BGP router
in Default-IP-Routing-Table) communicate via IBGP route
reflection.  Either dynamic or static routing can be used to
ensure 192.158.1.1 and 192.168.2.2 know the way to reach each
other.

BGP router 192.168.2.1 (BGP router in X-Bogon) takes ONLY a bogon
feed, and modifies the received routes to set the next hop either
into oblivion (eg. out a loopback with no ip unreachables set and
a deny ip any any ACL) or to a some kind of DoS/worm tracking
server (since almost all of this traffic will be part of some
kind of attack or worm, and you will quite probably want to
know about it; you can also set your default route in your
regular network to such a server that records all traffic
received).

Policy routing is applied on interface 192.168.1.2 saying "set
IP default next hop 192.168.2.2" and on interface 192.168.2.1
saying "set IP default next hop 192.168.1.1".

It would work.  I've done things similar to this example in a
lab to prove they work.  I wouldn't want to let a configuration
like this loose on the production internet, though, and anyone
who would is probably a _Certifiable_ Cisco Internet Engineer.

David.