OT: Increasing Cell Phone Signal inside a NOC?

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Mar 12 10:11:16 UTC 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:

> >I'm sure a lot of people have the same problem as we are having... Our
> NOC and Server Equipment is located in "No Cell Phone signal" zone of our
> building >(It's amazing what metal walls, Server Racks and HVAC Systems
> will do to Cellphone Signals).  I was wondering if anyone out there has
> found a device that >will be able to repeat the Cell Phone signal back
> into our NOC & Server Area's???

> You need an LDAP server to fix this ;->

:-)

One suggestion I haven't seen yet: simply complain. Your cellular
service provider may install a new base station in the area if enough
people ask them to. Here in Europe, there is 1800 MHz digital service
nearly everywhere in and around cities, as long as you're above ground.
I haven't encountered a building yet that could kill an otherwise strong
signal. It's only when the signal is mediocre to marginal anyway that
thick walls will kill it.