69/8...this sucks

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Tue Mar 11 21:37:29 UTC 2003

To a degree the problem is ability to reach proper persons. I'd like to be
able to enter as# or ip and immediatly get email for a tech who knows what
to do. Radb is supposed to provide some of these functionalities, so does
ip whois, so does dns whois. Usually one of these will get you what you
need or if nothing else, youd'd look at AS traceroute and contact the
upstream.

Reality is we do have hierchical structure in ip & as assignments/allocations:
IANA->RIR->LIR->ISP->END-USER but currect information exchange is only
possible at one level (i.e RIR should know how to contact LIR, ISP should
know how to contact END-USER). A lot smaller hierchy is with AS numbers -
IANA->RIR->END-USER. I guess I forgot about all this in my proposal but
I'll be sure to clarify that when new assignment is received ARIN should
notify not only their IP subscriber members and end-users (ip assignments)
customers but also all those listed as contacts for ASNs (removing duplicate
emails gathered from all the sources, of course).

Unfortunetly ASN  contact information is one of the least "maintained" as
far as ARIN data goes. And too bad... In my opinion fairly good way to
solve the problem would be to make sure that ASN contact info is up to
date for all RIRs and when new global assignments are made than IANA
makes the announcement and RIRs pass it along to their AS contacts and as
backup through longer ip path. I'm fairly certain if info on who to
contact was up to date at RIRs, the reachibility of this would be well
over 99% and number of blackholes for users of new ip block would be very
small.