69/8...this sucks -- Centralizing filtering..

Michael Whisenant michael at whisenant.net
Tue Mar 11 15:05:37 UTC 2003

Well Jon,

	I spent some time reading your message below, and trying to look
at if I experienced the issue, just what I would have done differently, or
what would have been more meaningful in your initial email blast... Here
are some of my thoughts...

	First since you are taking the time to explore where your routes
are reaching, why not send the end user (yes your approach contacts the
end user of the IP addres block not the network provider) a traceroute
showing where the problem is first encountered? Now granted some places
may filter ICMP messages, but it is some more information from which the
end user can start addressing the problem?

	Next I would suggest that you look at the tone of your message to
make sure that the reader understands that you have an issue and that you
would like his assistance. Sometimes emails can be viewed as HARSH when
they are meant to be informative and helpful in getting the issue
corrected.

	I would personally have run a traceroute with the NANOG traceroute
and also copied the Network ASN where the packets seems to have stopped.
After all that is the most likely source of the filter, right? When I
received your original message that is the first think that I did from an
off network account. You mention that we should update our ARIN listing...
well I do not disagree, but the subnet where the packets stopped would
have had a noc email with 24x7 number to call. Then again so would have
the ASN where the traceroute stopped.

	Yes I think that there is interest in understanding new subnet
allocations have universal routing. Clearly in this case when addressing
was first allocted in Aug 2002 this should have become and issue by now...
You suggest that ARIN should do more (lets expand this to any RR), what
would you suggest they do? Do you plan to be at the ARIN meeting in April?
We would welcome your views on this topic be addressed... Take it to a
ARIN advisory council member if you do not plan to attend, they can
champion your cause... they do it well...