69/8...this sucks -- Centralizing filtering..

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Mar 11 03:56:01 UTC 2003

Once upon a time, Michael Whisenant <michael at whisenant.net> said:
> You could reach MANY NASA locations, but those at one particular center,
> and that issue was related to a firewall update at ONLY one particular
> center. This filter was placed in after August when the cental bogon was
> removed at the ingress to the network.

The same can be said of many large organizations.

> If you feel that you have any issue reaching a NASA resource then you can
> send a message to noc at nisn.nasa.gov and/or the tech/org/noc POC on any
> address space. NISN is NASA's ISP and as such announce via AS297 that
> address space.

ARIN shows some rather outdated information for some NASA blocks.  For
example, 192.112.230.0/24 still has area code 205 and lists an email
address with a server that no longer exists.  The info listed for
192.112.220.0/22 & 192.112.224.0/20 lists "dns.support at nasa.gov" for the
tech contact.

When doing work like this, people are not likely to look in BGP to find
the AS announcing a block and then contact that AS; many ISPs announce
blocks on behalf of their customers and are not necessarily interested
in hearing that a customer has a bogus bogon list.

This isn't meant to be a pick on you (we've got some SWIPs filed
incorrectly that we are working on).  I've just run into more and more
cases where ARIN (or other RIR, but I'm typically interested in ARIN
info) info is out of date.  Maybe ARIN should periodically send an "are
you there" type email to contacts (like some mailing lists do).  If that
fails, mail a letter with instructions on how to update your contact
info, and if that fails, delete the invalid contact info - I'd rather
see no contact info than bogus info.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>