69/8...this sucks

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Mar 11 01:16:16 UTC 2003

OK... I'm late to this discussion (been mostly ignoring it due to volume in
other places), but, Sean's 911->855 mail makes me wonder...

It seems to me that it would be relatively simple to solve this problem by
doing the following:

1.	ICANN (or an ICANN designee, such as ARIN) shall issue an ASN range
	of 20 ASNs to be used as BOGON-ORIGINATE.

2.	Each RIR should operate one or more routers with an open peering
	policy which will perform the following functions:

	A.	Advertise all unissued space allocated to the RIR as
		originating from an ASN allocated to <RIR>-BOGON.

	B.	Peer with the corresponding routers at each of the other
		RIRs and accept and readvertise their BOGON list through
		BGP.

	C.	Provide a full BOGON feed to any router that chooses to
		peer, but not accept any routes or non-BGP traffic from
		those routers.

3.	Any provider which wishes to filter BOGONs could peer with the
	closest one or two of these and set up route maps that modify
	the next-hop for all BOGONs to be an address which is statically
	routed to NULL0 on each of their routers.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but, it seems to me that this
is the easiest way to make the data readily available to the community
directly from the maintainers of the databases in a fashion which is
automatically up to date.

Owen