scope of the 69/8 problem

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Tue Mar 11 00:26:28 UTC 2003

CJR> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:58:29 -0500
CJR> From: "Cutler, James R"

CJR> The cost of installing entirely new root hints files on
CJR> every Internet-attached name server around the world is
CJR> ridiculously large.  It has nothing to do with willing.

The cost of having 69/8 space is said to be ridiculously large,
and falls on the unfortunate recipients.  Both the root zone and
hints are PGP-signed; transfer could be automated.

I found the "check/update root hints" citation with a bit of
Google... the grasshopper book, 4th edition, page 157.  So it's
not an RFC, but rather a recommendation.

CJR> Perhaps, if the problem were defined in proper terms, and a

I thought it had been.

CJR> solution involving moving, for example, .net or .org to the
CJR> blackballed space were made to the registry/DNS owners, a
CJR> discussion of real possible events could ensue.

Yes.

This has been suggested.  Granted, little distinction has been
made between root/TLD.  The TLDs would be much easier to
implement than the roots.

CJR> In the meantime, most of the discussion in this thread is
CJR> wasted time and going to the wrong targets.

Perhaps.  ARIN, root operators, gTLD ops, IANA members, etc. are
known to read NANOG.  Of course, more direct lists exist...

Last post from me on this.

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence and [inter]national