923Mbits/s across the ocean

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sat Mar 8 21:49:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Cottrell, Les wrote:

> We used a stock TCP (Linux kernel TCP).  We did however, use jumbo
> frames (9000Byte MTUs).

What kind of difference did you see as opposed to standard 1500 byte
packets? I did some testing once and things actually ran slightly faster
with 1500 byte packets, completely contrary to my expectations... (This
was UDP and just 0.003 km rather than 10,000, though.)

> The remarks about window size and buffer are interesting also.  It
> is true large windows are needed. To approach 1Gbits/s we require
> 40MByte windows.  If this is going to be a problem, then we need to
> raise question like this soon and figure out how to address (add
> more memory, use other protocols etc.). In practice to approcah
> 2.5Gbits/s requires 120MByte windows.

So how much packet loss did you see? Even with a few packets in a
million lost this would bring your transfer way down and/or you'd need
even bigger windows.

However, bigger windows mean more congestion. When two of those boxes
start pushing traffic at 1 Gbps with a 40 MB window, you'll see 20 MB
worth of lost packets due to congestion in a single RTT.

A test where the high-bandwidth session or several high-bandwidth
sessions have to live side by side with other traffic would be very
interesting. If this works well it opens up possibilities of doing this
type of application over real networks rather than (virtual)
point-to-point links where congestion management isn't an issue.