923Mbits/s across the ocean

E.B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Sat Mar 8 21:36:18 UTC 2003

LC> Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 13:13:53 -0800
LC> From: "Cottrell, Les"

LC> The link from StarLight to Amsterdam was put in place for a

man 4 dummynet

LC> High speed at reasonable costs are the end-goal. However, it
LC> is important to be able to plan for when one will need such
LC> links, to know what one will be able to achieve, and for
LC> regular users to be ready to use them when the commonly
LC> available. This takes some effort up front to achieve and
LC> demonstrate.

The thing is we already know that large buffers help greatly.
Seeing how fast one can push a box with big buffers might be
cool, but is it accomplishing anything?  As you demonstrated,
anyone who needs that speed here and now can get a private line
and use a stock *ix install.  Done/done.

How about other models?  Limited server buffers (it's nice to
handle more than 25 simultaneous streams), random-bandwidth
clients, congestion, jitter... how were those treated?  Have
these been explored?

If there's going to be research, let's see some TCP stack tuning
and the results.  Investigating other protocols would be nice;
perhaps the scope of the contest should be changed.  The level of
"research" in unleashing bone-stock equipment is more appropriate
for an undergrad paper than a news release.

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence and [inter]national