923 Mbps across the Ocean ...

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Sat Mar 8 21:26:38 UTC 2003

e-VLBI could easily live with a 1% packet loss rate, so I see no need
for it to use TCP. (Much higher and the correlator hardware
will probably start having trouble staying in sync.)

The 1.8 Gbps igrid2002 demo used UDP, for example.

http://www.hep.man.ac.uk/~rich/VLBI_web/igrid2002_index.html

Alan Whitney <awhitney at haystack.mit.edu>
Hans Hinteregger <hhinteregger at haystack.mit.edu>
Hisao Uose <uose.hisao at lab.ntt.co.jp>
Craig Walker < cwalker at nrao.edu>

> University and others and the Radio Astronomy VLBI Data Transmission
> (see for example http://www.hep.man.ac.uk/~rich/VLBI_web/) since we
> have shared notes and talked together a lot on the high performance
> issues.  My understanding is that for today they use special high
> performance tapes to ship the data around, and are actively looking at
> using the network.

Today, yes, although the disk drive based Mark 5 system will be rapidly
rolled out, as it will substantially reduce operating costs.

http://web.haystack.mit.edu/e-vlbi/whitney.pdf

(BTW, the  Mk5 deployment plan
http://ivscc.gsfc.nasa.gov/program/Mk5plan_disks.pdf
involves buying a metric ton of shippable disk drives.)

Tape shipping for the USNO  VLBI correlator is on the order of $ 50K
per month (not counting recorder maintenance), so the
real question is, when will it be possible to ship 1 Gbps data by fiber
cheaper than than by FedEx. As the data are loss tolerant, and as
buffers are cheap, thus the interest in using worse than best effort
bandwidth. (If anyone is interested in the
this, I am trying to have an informal bar bof to discuss it at the SF
IETF.)

I cannot see how this is really relevant to NANOG and would suggest that
it be taken off list.

                                  Regards
                                  Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc.
Phone : 703-293-9601       Fax     : 703-293-9609
e-mail : tme at multicasttech.com
http://www.multicasttech.com

  Our New Multicast Workshop :
  http://www.multicasttech.com/workshop