923 Mbps across the Ocean ...

Hank Nussbacher hank at att.net.il
Sat Mar 8 18:20:10 UTC 2003

At 10:09 PM 07-03-03 +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

>On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
>
> > Production commercial networks need not apply, 'lest someone realize that
> > they blow away these speed records on a regular basis.
>
>What kind of production environment needs a single TCP stream of data
>at 1 gigabit/s over a 150ms latency link?
>
>Just the fact that you need a ~20 megabyte TCP window size to achieve this
>(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here) seems kind of unusal to me.

See: http://www.psc.edu/networking/perf_tune.html for many details of
tuning your TCP stack.  Interesting that most of the links lead to places
like PSC, VT, ANL, ORNL, UofHannover and NLANR.  If commercial ISPs have
been doing this stuff "on a regular basis", please let us know where it is
documented since it is a bit well hidden.

-Hank