923 Mbps across the Ocean ...

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sat Mar 8 06:25:17 UTC 2003

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 11:56:29PM +0200, fingers wrote:

> why is it that nanog'ers seem to display such aggression at this type of
> thing? is it the article itself, the work the researchers are doing, or
> the fact that they had the bandwidth and hardware to do it with?

There is nothing wrong with trying to set speed records, trying to push
tcp performance to its limits and maybe beyond, or holding contests to do
any of the above.

I think the objections here are three-fold:

A) The amount of arrogance it takes to declare a land speed "record" when
   there are people out there doing way more than this on a regular basis.

B) The extreme wastefulness of spending a million dollars to do it.

C) The incredible (well ok maybe not that incredible, expected is more
   like it) lack of accuracy in the reporting of this story.