69/8...this sucks

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Mar 8 00:33:47 UTC 2003

Atlantic.Net has just joined the 69/8 club of ARIN members with
assignments in this IP block that's apparently in numerous outdated bogon
filters.  As I posted I'd do earlier if given space from this block, I've
written some code to check reachability to a large number of remote IPs
from 2 source IPs...one in one of our older ARIN blocks, one in the new 69
block.

I'm feeding this code a very large list of known mail server IPs, and
having it ping each IP...only it'll ignore /24's once reachability from
both the old and new IPs has been established to an IP in that /24.

It's only just getting started on the list, but I've already found dozens
of networks that appear to be problems.  I've hand confirmed a couple and
sent off emails to the ARIN contacts.  It looks like there are going to be
so many networks to notify, I'll have to write some more code to automate
these emails.

What have others in this situation done?

Are you actually assigning 69/8 IP's to unsuspecting customers and hoping
they won't notice parts of the internet ignoring them?

According to ARIN's whois server, there are 95 subdelegations for
NET-69-0-0-0-0...we're the 95th.

I don't know if ARIN has other "less tainted" IP space to give out, but
something ought to be said/asked about this at the next meeting.  I
realize ARIN can't guarantee global routability of IP space, but should
they continue to give out IP blocks they absolutely know are not fully
routable on the internet today?

 Atlantic Net                |