UK ISPs not cooperating with law enforcement- COPA Enforcement BAN

Richard Irving rirving at onecall.net
Fri Mar 7 22:17:04 UTC 2003

 Another interesting point of "Roberts Rules of
Procedure" for Internet Operational Protocols,
so to speak... COPA has been struck down again.

 Your AUP's may have to be updated. ;)

[Sorry NSP-SEC's for being redundant.. :*, shh...]

Injunction against Enforcement of COPA,
March 6, 2003.

http://www.epic.org/free_speech/copa/

Excerpt:
 Court Strikes Down Censorship Law (Again).

The Third Circuit Court of Appeals has, for the second time,
ruled that the Child Online Protection Act (COPA) is unconstitutional.
In a decision (pdf) issued on March 6, 2003,
the court found that the law violates the First Amendment
because it improperly restricts access to a substantial
amount of online speech that is lawful for adults.
The decision follows a Supreme Court decision that sent the case
back to the appeals court,
which had previously ruled that COPA was unconstitutional.
EPIC is co-counsel in the case.

Supreme Court Maintains Ban on COPA Enforcement.
The Supreme Court on May 13, 2002, issued a decision
on Congress's latest attempt to censor the Internet.
The Court did not decide any of the core legal questions,
but ordered a lower court to decide the case on a wider
range of First Amendment issues. Meanwhile, a majority of
justices appeared to have grave doubts about the law's
ultimate constitutionality, and the Court left in place an
injunction barring enforcement of the law.
The case has to do with a law passed by Congress in 1998
called the Child Online Protection Act (COPA),
a broad censorship law that severely restricts any speech
on the Web that is "harmful to minors,"
and imposes steep fines and prison terms for violators.

We don't make the laws people, we just abide by them.