923 Mbps across the Ocean ...

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Mar 7 21:20:17 UTC 2003

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 10:09:51PM +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
>
> > Production commercial networks need not apply, 'lest someone realize that
> > they blow away these speed records on a regular basis.
>
> What kind of production environment needs a single TCP stream of data
> at 1 gigabit/s over a 150ms latency link?

Probably not many, but it's quite possible. I've done 1 Gbps streams off a
single box before, it's not much harder to take it out 150ms. Heck for
their 60 second test, you could buy some GigE transit ports from someone
with a STM64 across the pond and not even pay for it in 95th percentile.
:)

> Just the fact that you need a ~20 megabyte TCP window size to achieve this
> (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here) seems kind of unusal to me.

And you can't afford 20MB of RAM because...?