spamcop.net?

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Mar 4 19:14:16 UTC 2003

Thus spake "Martin Hannigan" <hannigan at fugawi.net>
> Not for nothing, but there's so much time wasted with all these
> diversified spam systems.

Many of these systems have been shown to falsely flag non-spamming sites,
and the more reliable ones unfortunately don't catch a majority of spammers.
This leads to a system where administrators (or users) can locally tune
preferences for the level of paranoia they wish to suffer from.  This would
not be possible if there were only one model or provider.

> I've been reading about Barry Shein's proposals and I have to say I
> am on board with a centralized -single- system based on his young,
> but intelligent, model.

If there were any single, centralized organization I trusted to do my
thinking for me, I'd agree.  This is also the same problem that PKI faces.