Tools

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Mar 3 18:05:13 UTC 2003

On maandag, maa 3, 2003, at 18:41 Europe/Amsterdam,
bmanning at karoshi.com wrote:

>>> 	what is not functioning properly?

>> Determining who is authorized to announce a certain block of IP
>> address
>> space.

> 	no protocol is going to help with this problem. its a
> 	social engineering issue, not a technical issue.

I really don't see this.

If we assume that the RIRs have authorative data on who holds what
address space (which is sort of true for recent or well-mainained
assignments) there is still a lot of glue necessary to make that into a
"this route is ok" or "this route is not ok" decision when processing
routing updates.