Who uses RADB? [was BGP to doom us all]

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Mar 3 15:35:44 UTC 2003

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 lhoward at UU.NET wrote:
> Very subtle, David.  As it happens, somebody asked only last week if
> they could take up the project again.  For those who think mapping
> filters to route objects is nigh trivial, there is a significant
> difference between network assignees and routes.  Tracking assignments,
> ASNs, customer routing policy, and which edge router each connects to
> requires two scoops of Perl.

Its not trivial, but there are several proof's of existance out
there.  I think Worldcom even owned the code for at least two working
implementations at one time or another :-)

Essentially a route registry is a way to tell everyone "only listen to
this route/prefix from me."  But if every ISP runs their own route
registry, you end up with the same problem with an additional level of
indirection.  C&W's route registry says their  route, Level 3's route
registry says their route, Verio's route registry says their route.  Etc
with Merit, ARIN, RIPE.

However, it is a step forward to get the informaton in a common format
which can be shared/munged/checked/etc.  The route vectors in BGP are
very information limited.  RPSL/rWHOIS has the opportunity to provide
more context.