Who uses RADB? [was BGP to doom us all]

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Mon Mar 3 02:08:39 UTC 2003

On Sunday, Mar 2, 2003, at 14:06 America/Vancouver, alex at yuriev.com
wrote:

>>> Because it provides me *no* service what so ever.
>>
>> Then don't use it. Surely this is not rocket science.
>
> If it provides no service to me and the guy next block and another
> little
> ISP that is announcing some prefixes and a few large ISPs that announce
> quite a few prefixes you wont get the data that you need. I am sure
> you get
> the idea.

Some people seem to have the idea that RADB-like services are only
useful if every operator uses them, and every operator publishes
accurate information. In my experience, that is not the case.

The most common usefulness I have experienced out of the IRR is as an
automated mechanism for publishing policy to adjoining ASes. Examples
are BGP-speaking customers instructing their providers on how to filter
their advertisements, and ASes filtering advertisements from their
peers (which does happen, even if it's not common in the US). Whether
or not non-adjoining ASes use the IRR at all, or use it well, is not
relevant to this application.

Generating route filters from the IRR via a small lump of script has
the potential to be cheaper, quicker, more efficient and less
customer-enraging than the common alternative approach of opening six
different tickets with the NOC and sacrificing small animals for three
weeks until the updates are made.

Joe