DNS records for routers

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Sat Mar 1 23:21:35 UTC 2003

> Some traces show individual interface names, some just show
> device names. Any particular reason to go one way or the
> other for PTR records (doing a single device name for every
> interface seems easier and less-likely to screw up to me)?

Providing information where the packet went is much more precise if you
provide interface indentification with the PTR. Putting speeds
on the PTR´s is more a marketing thing since users are usually happier with
empty OC3 than full OC12.

> What about A records? A matching one per PTR, or just one A
> per device? Or no A records in the public DNS? Would
> round-robin A records (an A record for every interface
> address, all using the same device name) break anything
> (like performance measurement tools or network management
> tools)?

The "main" device name should point to an loopback interface to allow
reachability when some interfaces are down.

Some network management tools break with large aliasing but those should
not be used anyway.

Pete