Who uses RADB? [was BGP to doom us all]

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Mar 1 18:02:13 UTC 2003

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Mark Radabaugh wrote:

> Who actually uses RADB to build filters other than Verio?  While my
> experience with other providers is limited Verio is the only one (of the
> ones we have used) who used RADB entries for BGP peers.

AFAIK, Level3 and C&W.  I have to keep RADB entries (actually altdb, and
c&w's own) up to date in order for each of them to accept our routes and
our BGP customers' routes.

> Overall it wasn't the best solution IMHO for a couple of reasons:
>
>  - there was nothing to keep us from making bogus entries in the RADB
>  - filters were only updated once a day making changes slow

OTOH, they don't have to pay someone to answer and respond to email sent
to bgp-admin.  They won't accept routes you accidentally leak to them.  Is
it secure?  Not really.  Is it cheap, reliable automation, I suspect so.

> This is not meant as a complaint toward Verio - I'm simply trying to decide
> why we should go to the added expense of entering our routes in a RADB.  To
> date I have seen no operational difference between using RADB and not using

www.altdb.net.  No expense other than the time you spend keeping your
objects up to date.

 Atlantic Net                |