Who uses RADB? [was BGP to doom us all]

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Sat Mar 1 16:52:01 UTC 2003

> You forgot the other one - expense.  AFAIK all of the registries have fees
> or require you to be a customer.  If there is no operational value

First problem, you see no "operational value".

> for me why would I want to spend the money?

Money changing hands no longer makes the IRR a dis-interested third party
or research project, they now have a vested interested in object integrity
and availability, and perhaps can afford resources to support these and
other enhancements.

> I realize most of you work for companies that consider a million dollars
> chump change but that is not the case everywhere.  If you can give me a
> convincing reason to register my routes in a RADB I will - but at this
> point I have yet to see it.

When one of your peers starts filtering inter-provider based on IRR and
your prefixes aren't permitted, or one of your peers advertises you more-
specifics for your customers prefixes, or better yet, your routers are
compromised and used to disrupt service to some now very unhappy multi-
million dollar online enterprise that will seek reimbursement -- maybe
that'll help convince you...

> What does a RADB tell you about a non-transit network that you can't see
> from BGP and WHOIS?  There is no more security in RADB than there is in our
> current method of notifying our peers of the netblocks we are announcing.

You should read up on it, there's a bit more capability there than just a
prefix and POC email address.

-danny