Who uses RADB? [was BGP to doom us all]

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 16:48:35 UTC 2003

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Mark Radabaugh wrote:

> > So, let's recap why no one uses them (as many have said already in the
> related
> > thread):  Laziness.  The same laziness that results in the slew of other
> things
> > many folks have pointed out not being addressed.
> >
> > -danny
>
> You forgot the other one - expense.  AFAIK all of the registries have fees
> or require you to be a customer.  If there is no operational value for me
> why would I want to spend the money?  I realize most of you work for

It doesnt cost a million dollars to have access to a RR, its somewhat less! You
pay for your domains you pay for your IPs you pay for your ASN you pay for your
SSL, so why be shocked you pay a little for this too? And if everyone filters
your prefixes that will be operational value enough to join!

> companies that consider a million dollars chump change but that is not the
> case everywhere.  If you can give me a convincing reason to register my
> routes in a RADB I will - but at this point I have yet to see it.

You've been reading this thread right? Those were the reasons and they were
pretty good, if you dont you may get filtered eventually or have your routes
hijacked.

> What does a RADB tell you about a non-transit network that you can't see

It tells you who it belongs to, where it should be coming from, possibly contact
details.

> from BGP and WHOIS?  There is no more security in RADB than there is in our
> current method of notifying our peers of the netblocks we are announcing.

Well you cant arbitrarily register routes to them, you have to be a member, and
have to match the authorisation criteria. I use RIPE and you have to be
authorised on both the ASN and the INETNUM objects to register the route for it.

Steve