anti-spam vs network abuse

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Mar 1 05:15:52 UTC 2003

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Roy wrote:

> I haven not checked NJABL but some of the other other open relay testers use
> scenarios that are illegal (actually criminal) in California.

If you mean the use of "incorrect" from addresses, I believe that law only
applies if the message(s) sent with someone else's address results in
damage.  I'm not here to debate the issue, and I certainly didn't mean to
start such a long thread here (the same post went to spam-l, where it was
nearly ignored), but I don't think 1 test message sent every 4 weeks (or
less frequently) will cause damage[1].

[1] yes...I am aware of one case where were ORBZ got in some hot water
over an SMTP envelope that effectively broke an outdated version of Lotus
Domino.  NJABL takes precautions to not repeat that mishap.

Just to be safe, mayby I'll avoid visiting the People's Republic of
Kalifornia.  That shouldn't be so hard.

 Atlantic Net                |