has anyone notice this ?

Scott Francis darkuncle at darkuncle.net
Mon Jun 30 18:20:31 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 05:24:46PM -0700, vickyr at socal.rr.com said:
[snip]
> It would be easier to troubleshoot if you used a browser that returned
> a meaningful error message.  "The page could not be found" could be just
> about anything.  DNS, routing, broken link, etc.
> ---------------
> vickyr> i even tried the same thing under linux--->mozilla and i get site
> name not found which i believe is less meaningful than ie :)

this strongly suggests a DNS problem to my mind, at least. Have you verified
that DNS is working properly? The one thing that I find myself saying nearly
constantly to folks at work is, "A browser is not much of a diagnostic tool."
Use something that generates a meaningful error message. (use dig(1), `telnet
host 80`, traceroute, etc.) If you have already used these tools, my
apologies; your first post was a little short on details.
--
Scott Francis || darkuncle (at) darkuncle (dot) net
      illum oportet crescere me autem minui