DNS announcement question (take 2)

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Sat Jun 28 17:32:59 UTC 2003

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> OK, I seem to have missed identifying a finer point.

You need to reread/do that google, you're mistaken in your understanding on what
is happening..

> Both registrars (old and new) also host the DNS records for the domain
> (actually several domains).  My question is which registrar (both are fully
> configured) will ultimately win at the root server, and how is this
> determined?

There is no 'win' it is whichever set of DNS servers are configured on that
domain which is why I say do a whois on it and you will see.

The only time your old registrar can do something similar to 'winning' is if
they keep old records on their network and users local to their network
(customers) use their DNS with their wrong data, that is the only time tho and
most ISPs run different DNS servers for domain hosting to the ones customers use
so this scenario wouldnt occur at all

> The mail and web servers are up and running, and their IP addresses are not
> going to change.  I just want to guarantee that when the account on
> registrar ABC is fully removed that registrar XYZ will begin DNS
> announcements to the root servers.

Ensure the whois reports the new DNS servers and ensure the new DNS servers give
the correct response!

Steve