companies like microsoft and telia...

Curtis Maurand curtis at maurand.com
Thu Jun 26 22:05:55 UTC 2003

Let's not forget those little smtp daemons that you can install on your
local machine to bypass your ISP's smtp server.  I've actually
installed a couple of them for small clients that needed a mail server
their office could send through because Verizon's smtp server will not
accept an email address that doesn't end with verizon.com. (I digress)
The bottom line is all that email can come from countless thousands of
dynamically addressed broadband ISP client machines.  Any  PIII or PIV
machine of reasonable speed can send thousands of email messages per
hour.  There are lots of email blasting packages out there available for
the download.

Curtis

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Paul Vixie wrote:

> ...are doing more to help spam than to stop it, in spite of themselves.
>
> consider microsoft-yahoo-aol's big fad of the moment which is suing spammers
> and blaming asia.  the number one (#1) contributor to spam is open proxies
> running on windows/xp, several of which are installed by default as side
> effects of other user activities.  spam can now come from tens of millions
> of untraceable places, and since it's an open proxy rather than an open relay
> there isn't even a Received: header trail.  WHAT a marketing department,
> though, to be able to (successfully!) blame spam on asia.
>
> but what have we here?  i would not have imagined that in 2003 any company
> could be as blatantly irresponsible as to behave the way telia documents here:
>
> 	route:        217.208.0.0/13
> 	descr:        TELIANET-BLK
> 	remarks:      Abuse issues should be reported at
> 	remarks:      http://www.telia.com/security/
> 	remarks:      Mail to abuse at telia.net will be auto-replied
> 	remarks:      and referred to the URL above.
> 	origin:       AS3301
> 	mnt-by:       TELIANET-RR
> 	changed:      rr at telia.net 20010508
> 	source:       RIPE
>
> excuse me, telia, but your customers are spamming me, and i have no plans to
> teach lartomatic (my homebrew complaintbot) how to log into your web site.
> it is the year 2003, and you bloody well need to learn how to accept complaints
> about YOUR CUSTOMERS using a format that is most convenient to THE VICTIMS.
> (and you should be THANKING US FOR IT since we are DOING YOUR WORK FOR YOU.)
>
> grrrrrrrrrrrrr.  clearly i need to stop accepting e-mail from 217.208.0.0/13.

Curtis Maurand
mailto:curtis at maurand.com
http://www.maurand.com