chep snmp temperature sensors

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Jun 25 05:07:06 UTC 2003

>I've searched the archives, and didn't see anything current.
>
>I am looking for a small, cheap, simply device, that can measure temp and
>be polled via SNMP. POE would be a plus.
>
>Any pointers?
>

>-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex at nac.net, latency, Al Reuben --
>--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --

This is a bit of a late reply, but it appears that there is a
reasonably inexpensive solution that I had not found when I
originally replied to this message:

http://www.sensatronics.com/TempTrax/index.html

There are serial versions and ethernet-based versions.  The serial
version looks simple enough even to connect to the console of a Cisco
for remote access via a script, and the ethernet version doesn't
appear too complex, either.  (Does a standard Cisco AUX port provide
DTR power?)  The downside is that they're not SNMP-capable directly;
an intermediate glue routine would need to be written.

You can find Nagios (a popular Open-Source monitoring platform)
plug-ins for these devices here:

http://www.nagios.org/products/

JT