Oh where, oh where has Comcast gone

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Tue Jun 24 12:38:54 UTC 2003

I actually noticed this morning when trying to check my mail that their
mail server is now SSL capable out of the blue. Interesting...

At 03:45 AM 6/24/2003, Matt Hess wrote:

>Well, I do know, as a customer, they are going through a large att ->
>comcast.net transition period right now.. they even left a poorly thought
>out automated message on my answering machine to let me know that on june
>30th they plan on royally screwing up everything.. now naturally they
>didn't say that but that message sure didn't leave much room for any hope
>of contacting support that week if need be..
>

>John R Levine wrote:
>>I saw a bunch of mail to comcast.net bouncing, so I figured I'd check to
>>see if maybe their mail servers were misconfigured or something.  Holy
>>petunias, they've imploded into private network space.
>>It appears that the glue records in the GTLD servers are OK, but ns02 is
>>returning the 172.30 address which, since it's authoritative for itself,
>>overwrites the good data.  Tsk, tsk.  I suppose that's one way to cut down
>>the amount of spam they get.
>>$ dnsqr ns comcast.net
>>2 comcast.net:
>>76 bytes, 1+2+0+0 records, response, noerror
>>query: 2 comcast.net
>>answer: comcast.net 4929 NS ns01.jdc01.pa.comcast.net
>>answer: comcast.net 4929 NS ns02.jdc01.pa.comcast.net
>>$ dnsqr a ns01.jdc01.pa.comcast.net
>>1 ns01.jdc01.pa.comcast.net:
>>59 bytes, 1+1+0+0 records, response, noerror
>>query: 1 ns01.jdc01.pa.comcast.net
>>answer: ns01.jdc01.pa.comcast.net 4923 A 172.30.0.16
>>$ dnsqr a ns02.jdc01.pa.comcast.net
>>1 ns02.jdc01.pa.comcast.net:
>>59 bytes, 1+1+0+0 records, response, noerror
>>query: 1 ns02.jdc01.pa.comcast.net
>>answer: ns02.jdc01.pa.comcast.net 4919 A 172.30.0.17
>>Regards,
>>John Levine, johnl at iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
>>Dummies",
>>Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Sewer
>>Commissioner
>>"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and
those that don't.