Network discovery and mapping

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Jun 23 01:24:58 UTC 2003

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Andy Dills wrote:
> That's quite a "medium-scale".
>
> Is there a single entity in the world that controls 1,000 networks and
> 100,000 network devices?

Its a bit like the fish that got away.  People have varying ideas about
how big is big.  Its smaller than the Internet, but larger than a mom&pop
network.  Most americans consider themselves "middle-class," no matter
what their net worth is.

As far as a "single entity," obviously all large organizations have
learned how to delegate responsibility.  The US Military has about 3
million network devices connected to 3,000 networks.  But no single person
really controls all 3 million network devices.  Its the organizational
gaps between entities I'm interested in mapping.  I want to discover
and map the connections indviduals may know about, but no one realized
how all the pieces were connected.

So far the recommendations have included

   Cheops
   NetViz
   OpenView
   Intermapper