Network discovery and mapping

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Sun Jun 22 20:11:15 UTC 2003

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 jlewis at lewis.org wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Andy Dills wrote:
>
> > That's quite a "medium-scale".
> >
> > Is there a single entity in the world that controls 1,000 networks and
> > 100,000 network devices?
>
> WorldCom^Hn

Well, sure, MCI is a single company that owns that many networks and
possibly network devices, but are you saying there's a single group of
people within MCI who are tasked with mapping, down to the host level,
across their entire network? It would seem reasonable to me that there is
some hierarchy involved...European division deals with its network, etc.

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Jonathan Crockett wrote:

> I am a network engineer for a cable ISP.  We have over 50,000 cable
> modems and around 65,000 customer devices.  We only have 200-250
> networks, but well over 100,000 ip devices.

What would be the value of mapping all those CPEs? Not that there isn't
one, I just don't know what it is.

Andy

---
Andy Dills