Advice/Experience with small sized DDWM gear

Simon Leinen simon at limmat.switch.ch
Sat Jun 21 10:25:53 UTC 2003

Deepak Jain writes:
[a response with excellent pieces of advice on CWDM vs. DWDM.]

> 	If you are planning more than just 1 DF run, you could buy the less
> expensive solution and just swap it out when you need something more and use
> the CWDM solution somewhere else.

Yes.  What we often do is buy a single pair of fiber (which happens to
be the smallest amount you can get) and use a bi-directional optical
system (CWDM or DWDM).  So we have one of the two fibers free for a
later upgrade (or another useful purpose).

[...]
> 	So its a question of how much BW you need and how much you
> want to pay for right now.

An excellent management summary of CWDM vs. DWDM :-)
--
Simon.