IRR/RADB and BGP

Michael Hallgren m.hallgren at free.fr
Fri Jun 20 16:47:08 UTC 2003

> On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Deepak Jain wrote:
>

> > > I strongly approve of such requirement. I know that it is in
> the peering
> > > agreements of several carriers, but they often don't check or enforce
> > > this. Many register customer routes and ASes. If routes and policies
> > > were properly registered, securing the Internet would be a lot closer
> > > to being possible.
> >
> > Is it safe to assume (now) that all the routes one would care
> to listen to
> > (under normal circumstances)
> > are registered in an IRR now? I remember there used to be
> well-known issues
> > with some networks, especially internationally.
>
> I dunno, there are plenty of smaller ASes who have yet to be forced to
> register their routes.

Of some importance, yes, definitely, since at least some actors (including
Teleglobe, my home) tend to recurse on AS-set when building filters... so
unless registrered all the way down/up, filtered... which, by the way, is
a good moment/reason to help those "smaller ASes" go register (rather than
patching/proxying for them).

Cheers,

mh