IRR/RADB and BGP

Jake Khuon khuon at NEEBU.Net
Thu Jun 19 23:24:13 UTC 2003

### On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:46:48 -0700, "Kevin Oberman" <oberman at es.net>
### casually decided to expound upon "Vandy Hamidi"
### <vandy.hamidi at markettools.com> the following thoughts about "Re:
### IRR/RADB and BGP ":

KO> You need to have routes registered in the IRR, but not necessarily the
KO> RADB. The RADB is only a part of the IRR. Many larger ISPs and NSPs
KO> run their own registries and there are several international
KO> registries including APNIC and RIPE. There has been at least one free
KO> database out there. I just don't remember the URL. (It's in the
KO> archives, but the search may be painful.)

RADB mirrors other registries and its server will happily spit out results
from multiple sources/mirrors.  Thus if you register in say AltDB, your
provider will by default get returned your object if they query the RADB
server.  This of course assumes they are not doing selective source and
restricting their searches to that of only RADB.  You will want to confirm
this with your provider.  Tools such as IRRToolSet used for building prefix
filters will allow the user to select on a per-query basis (in addition to
global) which sources to search against when querying an IRR database.

--
 | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | --------------- |